Photograph of the Nashville Public Library bookmobile, circa 1941
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A photograph showing young people greeting the arrival of the Nashville Public Library bookmobile, circa July, 1941, at Stewart's Cash Grocery in Davidson County, Tennessee. Mrs. Frances Parkes and Mrs. Leah Rose, employees of the Nashville Public Library, traveled with the truck on its service route to rural residents in the outlying communities. The bookmobile project was under the direction of Librarian F. K. W. (Francis Keese Wynkoop) Drury and sponsored by the Works Progress Administration, the Nashville Public Library, the County School Library and the local Rotary Club. The bookmobile service in Davidson County, Tennessee originally began in the 1940's, when the State Library Project furnished a bookmobile which made weekly demonstration rounds through the county. In 1947, the Nashville Public Library initiated the "library-on-wheels" bookmobile service; by 1956, service had been extended to all of Davidson County. Forms part of the Nashville Room Historic Photographs Collection. 1 photograph : b & w ; 3 x 4.5 in.
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Nashville Public Library
- Stewart's Cash Grocery (Davidson County, Tenn.)
United States. Works Progress Administration
Public Library of Nashville and Davidson County--History
Libraries and society--Tennessee--Nashville
Public service employment--Tennessee--Nashville
- Still imagePhotographs
- U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital content, which is provided for educational purposes only and may not be downloaded, reproduced, or distributed for any other purpose without written permission. Please contact the Special Collections Division of the Nashville Public Library, 615 Church Street, Nashville, Tennessee, 37219. Telephone (615) 862-5782.
- Chicago citation style
- Photograph of the Nashville Public Library bookmobile, circa 1941. 1941. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/520. (Accessed October 21, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- (1941) Photograph of the Nashville Public Library bookmobile, circa 1941. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/520
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/520>.