Werthan Bag Corporation printing proof 039 -- "Quail"
- View Full Item
- Created Date
- circa 1935
M. Werthan and Company was founded by Meier Werthan in 1895. He was originally in the business of buying, reconditioning, and selling used burlap bags. By 1913, the business expanded into the manufacture of new textile bags, made of cotton fabric as well as burlap. In 1928, the company merged with Morgan and Hamilton Company, which had operated a cotton mill as well as a bleachery, to form Werthan Bag Corporation. Then, bales of raw cotton were received by the mill, spun into yarn, and woven into cloth or twisted into sewing thread. The cloth was then bleached and sent to the textile bag mill where it was printed, cut, and sewn into bags. The image above is a printing proof made on a broadside poster before a company's logo could be approved. Werthan Bag Mill, part of Werthan Packaging, Inc., shut its doors in 1995 after five generations of family operation. Color; 18 x 24 in.
- Werthan Bag Corporation
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Nashville Public Library
- Werthan, Meier, 1843-1914
Metro Nashville Government
Nashville (Tenn.)--Buildings, structures, etc
- Still imageBroadside
- U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital content, which is provided for educational purposes only and may not be downloaded, reproduced, or distributed for any other purpose without written permission. Please contact: Metro Nashville Archives, 615 Church Street, Nashville, Tennessee, 37219. Telephone (615) 862-5880.
- Chicago citation style
- Werthan Bag Corporation. Werthan Bag Corporation printing proof 039 -- "Quail". circa 1935. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/1735. (Accessed October 21, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- Werthan Bag Corporation, (circa 1935) Werthan Bag Corporation printing proof 039 -- "Quail". Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/1735
- MLA citation style
- Werthan Bag Corporation. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/1735>.