Tennessee State Fair, Nashville, Tennessee, 1970 September
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Men setting up an amusement ride at the Tennessee State Fair in Nashville, Tennessee, September, 1970. The fairgrounds, located approx. one mile south of downtown Nashville, opened in 1891 as Cumberland Park. The park was built as a harness racing track with a grandstand that seated 7,000 people. In 1904 the harness racing track hosted its first automobile race. In 1906 the first Tennessee State Fair was held. Over the years, the fairgrounds have been host to nighttime airplane rides, a swimming pool, an amusement park, and stock car races, among other things. In 1965 a fire at the fairgrounds destroyed several buildings, the grandstands and numerous restaurants. Today the fairgrounds are used for various conferences, expos, and trade shows, along with the annual Tennessee State Fair. Forms part of Record Group 300, Tennessee State Fair Collection. 1 photograph : b & w.
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Nashville Public Library
- Tennessee State Fairgrounds (Nashville, Tenn.)
Sports & recreation facilities--Tennessee--Nashville
Nashville and Davidson County (Tenn.)--History--Sources
Nashville (Tenn.)--Social life and customs
- Still imagePhotographs
- U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital content, which is provided for educational purposes only and may not be downloaded, reproduced, or distributed for any other purpose without written permission. Please contact: Metro Nashville Archives, 615 Church Street, Nashville, Tennessee, 37219. Telephone (615) 862-5880.
- Chicago citation style
- Tennessee State Fair, Nashville, Tennessee, 1970 September. 1970-09. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/7122. (Accessed November 13, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- (1970-09) Tennessee State Fair, Nashville, Tennessee, 1970 September. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/7122
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/7122>.