Water Department and the George Reyer Pumping Station, Nashville, Tennessee, 1950 September
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A photo related to the Water Department and the George Reyer Pumping Station in Nashville, Tennessee, circa September 1950. The George Reyer Pumping Station (located on Omohundro Drive) and the Eighth Avenue Reservoir were built in 1889. Both the pumping station, powered by steam until 1953, and the Eighth Avenue Reservoir are still in operation today and are included in the National Registry of Historical Places. A water filtration plant was completed at Omohundro Drive in 1929. The K.R. Harrington Water Treatment Plant, located on Heartland Drive in Donelson, joined the Omohundro Treatment Plant in supplying safe, clean water to the Nashville area in 1978. The George Reyer Pumping Station was named in honor of Captain George Reyer, a Water Works superintendent for over 41 years. Presently, Metro Water Services, officially known as the Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County, Department of Water and Sewerage Services is responsible for operation of the Omohundro Water Plant in addition to the vast network of water mains that provide service. Forms part of Record Group 3, Metro Davidson County Photographer. 1 photograph negative : b & w ; 4 x 5 in.
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Nashville Public Library
Water treatment plants--Tennessee--Nashville
Municipal water supply--Tennessee--Nashville
Nashville and Davidson County (Tenn.)--History--Sources
Nashville (Tenn.)--Social life and customs
Nashville (Tenn.)--Buildings, structures, etc
- Still imageNegatives
- U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital content, which is provided for educational purposes only and may not be downloaded, reproduced, or distributed for any other purpose without written permission. Please contact: Metro Nashville Archives, 615 Church Street, Nashville, Tennessee, 37219. Telephone (615) 862-5880.
- Chicago citation style
- Water Department and the George Reyer Pumping Station, Nashville, Tennessee, 1950 September. 1950-09. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/7211. (Accessed December 11, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- (1950-09) Water Department and the George Reyer Pumping Station, Nashville, Tennessee, 1950 September. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/7211
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/7211>.