Map of the field of Shiloh, near Pittsburgh Landing, Tenn.
- View Full Item
- Created Date
- approximately 1862
This map includes federal troop positions for Grant's Army of the Tennessee and Buell's Army of the Ohio for the morning and evenings of April 6 and April 7. The various creeks, roads, homes, hospitals, Shiloh Church, the cotton press, Pittsburgh Landing, and the gunboats Tyler and Lexington are all included.
After successive defeats in northern Tennessee, the Confederate army regrouped in Corinth, Mississippi, under Generals Albert Sidney Johnston and P. G. T. Beauregard, as the Army of Mississippi. On April 6, 1862, it made a surprise attack on the Union’s Army of the Tennessee under the command of General Ulysses S. Grant at Pittsburg Landing, Tennessee. Later known as the Battle of Shiloh, this was deadliest battle in American history up to that date. The surprise paid off initially, as Union troops were put on the defensive. However, the arrival of Union General Don Carlos Buell proved to be the turning point as the Confederate forces were routed, amassing over ten thousand casualties.
- Matz, Otto H., 1830-1919
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Tennessee State Library & Archives
- Shiloh, Battle of, Tenn., 1862--Maps
United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Maps
Campaigns & battles
- Standardized Rights Statement
- The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Matz, Otto H., 1830-1919. Map of the field of Shiloh, near Pittsburgh Landing, Tenn.. approximately 1862. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/9439. (Accessed October 13, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- Matz, Otto H., 1830-1919, (approximately 1862) Map of the field of Shiloh, near Pittsburgh Landing, Tenn.. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/9439
- MLA citation style
- Matz, Otto H., 1830-1919. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/9439>.