Court house, Nashville, Tenn., 1905
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A postcard of the Court House as it appeared in 1905. The courthouse was designed in 1857 by Francis Strickland, son of William Strickland, who built the State Capitol. Construction on the building started in 1859 and finished in 1863. Situated on the east center of the public square, it was built on the site of three former courthouses. This Strickland courthouse served as the epicenter for a bustling Nashville for eighty years. The building was in Corinthian style and cost $120,000. In 1935 the building was demolished and eventually replaced by the current Metropolitan Court House. Forms part of the Nashville Room Postcard Collection. 1 postcard : col. ; 3.5 x 5.5 in.
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Nashville Public Library
- Davidson County Court House (Nashville, Tenn.)
Central business districts--Tennessee--Nashville
Nashville (Tenn.)--Buildings, structures, etc
Public Square (Nashville, Tenn.)--History--Sources
Court House Square (Nashville, Tenn.)--History--Sources
- Still imagePostcards
- U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital content, which is provided for educational purposes only and may not be downloaded, reproduced, or distributed for any other purpose without written permission. Please contact the Special Collections Division of the Nashville Public Library, 615 Church Street, Nashville, Tennessee, 37219. Telephone (615) 862-5782.
- Chicago citation style
- Court house, Nashville, Tenn., 1905. 1905. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/669. (Accessed November 14, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- (1905) Court house, Nashville, Tenn., 1905. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/669
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/669>.