The House of God, 2001 July 14
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A photograph of a church referred to as the House of God, an African American Pentecostal denomination also known as the Church of the Living God. The full name used on the front entrance signage reads: The House of God Which is the Church of the Living God, the Pillar and Ground of the Truth Without Controversy, Inc., Keith Dominion. This church is located at 2005 Heiman Street in Nashville, Tennessee. The congregation was founded by Mother Mary Magdalena L. Tate in 1903. Tate was a traveling female African American preacher who spread the faith to numerous states. Her church was first incorporated under the name of the Church of the Living God, the Pillar and Ground of the Truth in 1908. The church building was erected in 1948-1950 and served as the church headquarters until a new headquarters was built on the same street in 1981. The F. Dovie Shuford Memorial Library and the House of God Academy and Bible College are now housed in the old headquarters. The local Nashville congregation also still uses this building as their weekly meeting place. The foundation is made of brick. The exterior walls are brick. The original windows were arched, but have since been modified into rectangular shapes. The panes are clear glass. The roof is gabled with tar shingles. The doors are wood. Special architectural features include two brick towers on either side of the entrance. Forms part of the Historic Nashville, Inc. Sacred Sites Survey Project. 1 photograph : col. ; 4 x 6 in.
- Historic Nashville, Inc
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Nashville Public Library
- House of God Church (Nashville, Tenn.)
Colleges and Universities
African American churches--Tennessee--Nashville
Universities and colleges
Nashville (Tenn.)--Buildings, structures, etc
Nashville (Tenn.)--Religious life and customs
Heiman Street (Nashville, Tenn.)
Nashville (Tenn.)--Intellectual life
- Still imagePhotographs
- U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital content, which is provided for educational purposes only and may not be downloaded, reproduced, or distributed for any other purpose without written permission. Please contact the Special Collections Division of the Nashville Public Library, 615 Church Street, Nashville, Tennessee, 37219. Telephone (615) 862-5782.
- Chicago citation style
- Historic Nashville, Inc. The House of God, 2001 July 14. 2001-07-14. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/1071. (Accessed November 16, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- Historic Nashville, Inc, (2001-07-14) The House of God, 2001 July 14. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/1071
- MLA citation style
- Historic Nashville, Inc. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/1071>.