The Cathedral of the Incarnation, 2001 May
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A photograph of the Cathedral of the Incarnation located at 2015 West End Avenue, Nashville, Tennessee. The construction of this Catholic church began in 1907. Bishop Byrne first built the rectory, then the school (St. Albert Hall), and finally the church itself, which was completed in 1914. Saint Albert Hall served as the parish school until 1970. During two major renovations of the church in 1937 and 1987, the school was used as a worship space. The basilica-style architecture of the building was modeled after the church of San Martino ai Monti in Rome. The interior of the Cathedral is decorated in thirteenth century Italian Renaissance style. The foundation is constructed of a combination of smooth cut finished stone blocks and rough cut stone blocks. The exterior walls are yellow brick with stone accents. The gabled roof is made of terracotta tiles and has stone eaves. The windows are clear and arched. The doors are wood with transom windows above. Other features include an historic bell tower, a stone, circular seal over the front door, stone over the doors and around the windows, and a copper cross on the front door. Some stained glass windows are present. Forms part of the Historic Nashville, Inc. Sacred Sites Survey Project. 1 photograph : col. ; 4 x 6 in.
- Historic Nashville, Inc
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Nashville Public Library
- Cathedral of the Incarnation (Nashville, Tenn.)
Catholic church buildings--Tennessee--Nashville
Architecture, Renaissance-- Italian influences
Religious architectural elements--Tennessee--Nashville
Nashville (Tenn.)--Buildings, structures, etc
Nashville (Tenn.)--Religious life and customs
West End Avenue (Nashville, Tenn.)
- Still imagePhotographs
- U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital content, which is provided for educational purposes only and may not be downloaded, reproduced, or distributed for any other purpose without written permission. Please contact the Special Collections Division of the Nashville Public Library, 615 Church Street, Nashville, Tennessee, 37219. Telephone (615) 862-5782.
- Chicago citation style
- Historic Nashville, Inc. The Cathedral of the Incarnation, 2001 May. 2001-05. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/737. (Accessed October 19, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- Historic Nashville, Inc, (2001-05) The Cathedral of the Incarnation, 2001 May. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/737
- MLA citation style
- Historic Nashville, Inc. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/737>.