A new and correct map of North America, with the West India Islands divided
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This massive and incredibly detailed map depicts British possessions in the New World after the French and Indian War. Towns, forts, hand-colored colonial borders, factories, stations, roads, mines, and Spanish missions are all depicted. The depiction of American Indian tribes and villages is particularly comprehensive, and provides some of the best information for locations west of the Mississippi for an 18th century map. Geographic features include rivers, lakes, creeks, capes, inlets, islands, and mountains. Annotations describe details specifically noted in articles of the Treaty of Paris, 1763. The cartouche is one of the finest examples published in the 18th century. It depicts a pair of native people and a child, one petting a large cat. An alligator or crocodile appears to their left.
Thomas Pownall was born in 1722. He served as colonial governor of New Jersey and Massachusetts Bay, often advocating colonial positions on taxation and other controversial legislation. Pownall's American sympathies saw him voted out of office in 1774. During the Revolutionary War, Pownall worked to revise Lewis Evans map of the American colonies, resulting in this incredibly detailed masterpiece. Pownall died in 1805.
- Pownall, Thomas, 1722-1805
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Tennessee State Library & Archives
- North America--Maps--Early works to 1800
British--America--Maps--Early works to 1800
West Indies--Maps--Early works to 1800
Great Britain--Colonies--America--Maps--Early works to 1800
- Standardized Rights Statement
- The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Pownall, Thomas, 1722-1805. A new and correct map of North America, with the West India Islands divided. 1777. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://teva.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/9397. (Accessed January 18, 2020.)
- APA citation style
- Pownall, Thomas, 1722-1805, (1777) A new and correct map of North America, with the West India Islands divided. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://teva.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/9397
- MLA citation style
- Pownall, Thomas, 1722-1805. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://teva.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/9397>.