Vanderbilt University, main building, between 1898 and 1901
- View Full Item
- Created Date
- between 1898 and 1901
A postcard of the Main Building on the Vanderbilt campus between 1898 and 1901. Vanderbilt University was made possible in 1873 through a one million dollar gift from Commodore Cornelius Vanderbilt, a shipping and rail tycoon who had never even visited the South. Vanderbilt's hope in supporting a university in the South was that it would "contribute to strengthening the ties which should exist between all sections of our common country." At the University's onset, the campus consisted of the Main Building, an astronomical observatory and houses for professors. The original Vanderbilt Library was housed in the Main Building. In 1905 a fire consumed the Main Building and it was rebuilt with one tower as Kirkland Hall in honor of the school's longest serving Chancellor, James H. Kirkland. Kirkland guided the rebuilding process and also navigated the University through the separation from the Methodist Church. The new building houses the administration offices and sits off of West End Avenue. Forms part of the Nashville Room Postcard Collection. 1 postcard : col. ; 3.5 x 5.5 in.
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Nashville Public Library
- Davie Printing Co. (Publisher)
- Vanderbilt University
Colleges and Universities
Universities and colleges
West End Avenue (Nashville, Tenn.)
Nashville (Tenn.)--Buildings, structures, etc
Nashville (Tenn.)--Intellectual life
- Still imagePostcards
- U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital content, which is provided for educational purposes only and may not be downloaded, reproduced, or distributed for any other purpose without written permission. Please contact the Special Collections Division of the Nashville Public Library, 615 Church Street, Nashville, Tennessee, 37219. Telephone (615) 862-5782.
- Chicago citation style
- Vanderbilt University, main building, between 1898 and 1901. between 1898 and 1901. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/849. (Accessed October 14, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- (between 1898 and 1901) Vanderbilt University, main building, between 1898 and 1901. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/849
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/849>.