Exterior view of Christ Church Cathedral, Nashville, Tennessee, circa 1940s
- View Full Item
An exterior view of Christ Church Cathedral, located at 900 Broadway Avenue, in downtown Nashville. Christ Church Cathedral serves as the Cathedral for the Episcopal Diocese of Tennessee. Originally built in 1830 on the corner of Sixth Avenue and Church Street, Christ Church. In 1890, a new lot was purchased for construction of a new worship facility on Broad and McLemore (Ninth Avenue). The present structure was completed in 1894. This Victorian Gothic architecture was designed by Francis Hatch Kimball of New York. It was constructed of Sewanee sandstone, a gift from the University of the South. Bowling Green grey stone was used in the trim, the gargoyles and later in the tower. The gabled and hipped roof is comprised of slate shingles and has a very complex structure. A mix of Gothic arched and circular shaped, stained glass windows with finished stone blocks surrounding the glass are frequently placed amongst the walls. Forms part of Record Group 412, Photographs Collection. 1 photograph negative : b & w ; 4 x 5 in.
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Nashville Public Library
- Christ Church Cathedral (Nashville, Tenn.)
Central business districts--Tennessee--Nashville
Nashville (Tenn.)--Social life and customs
Nashville and Davidson County (Tenn.)--History--Sources
Ninth Avenue (Nashville, Tenn.)
Broadway Avenue (Nashville, Tenn.)
- Still imageNegatives
- U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital content, which is provided for educational purposes only and may not be downloaded, reproduced, or distributed for any other purpose without written permission. Please contact the Metro Archives, Nashville Public Library, 615 Church Street, Nashville, Tennessee, 37219. Telephone (615) 862-5880.
- Chicago citation style
- Exterior view of Christ Church Cathedral, Nashville, Tennessee, circa 1940s. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/5647. (Accessed October 23, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- Exterior view of Christ Church Cathedral, Nashville, Tennessee, circa 1940s. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/5647
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/5647>.