Iron Cross medal
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Black and silver cross pattee-shaped iron medal. The medal is semi-domed with pin-back, which identifies it as a copy. The original Iron Crosses were flat. Marked on top arm of the cross is the Imperial crown; the middle is marked "W" for Wilhelm; and the bottom arm is marked 1914. The reverse is hallmarked 800. The Iron Cross began as a military medal for valor in 1813 and was unique to Prussia. By World War 1914-1918 it was considered a generic German award for valor.
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Tennessee State Library & Archives
- Standardized Rights Statement
- This Rights Statement should be used for Items for which the copyright status is unknown and for which the data provider has not undertaken an effort to determine the copyright status of the work.
- Chicago citation style
- Iron Cross medal. undated. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll29/id/150. (Accessed September 20, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- (undated) Iron Cross medal. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll29/id/150
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll29/id/150>.