Portrait of Joseph Thorp Elliston, ca. 1840
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Joseph Thorp Elliston in his 60s, with grey hair and glasses. He is seated in a chair and is holding a walking stick or cane. Born in Virginia in 1779, Joseph Thorp Elliston was Nashville's first silversmith, jeweler, and watch and clock maker. Elliston apprenticed under Samuel Ayers of Lexington, Kentucky, from 1795 until 1799, when he moved to Nashville and opened his own shop. He was one of Nashville's five incorporators (1806), served as Nashville's fourth Mayor (1814-1817), was a trustee of McKendree Methodist Church, and was a founder of the Nashville Female Academy. He died in 1856, was originally interred at Nashville City Cemetery, and was reinterred at Mt. Olivet Cemetery. Oil on canvas. Presented to the Nashville Public Library in 1965 by Marcellus B. Frost in memory of Mrs. Mildred Buford Frost and her sisters Eleanor Buford Jones and Elizabeth Buford Shepherd, all Joseph Thorp Elliston's great-granddaughters. The portrait is currently not on display. The library's portraits were photographed as part of the National Society of The Colonial Dames of America in Tennessee's Tennessee Portrait Project (http://www.tnportraits.org/index.htm).
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Nashville Public Library
- Elliston, Joseph Thorp, 1779-1856--Portraits
Portraits, American--19th century
Clock and watch makers--Tennessee--Nashville
- Still imagePortraitsPaintings
- U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital content, which is provided for educational purposes only and may not be downloaded, reproduced, or distributed for any other purpose without written permission. Please contact the Special Collections Division of the Nashville Public Library, 615 Church Street, Nashville, Tennessee, 37219. Telephone (615) 862-5782.
- Chicago citation style
- Portrait of Joseph Thorp Elliston, ca. 1840. 1840~. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/1855. (Accessed October 21, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- (1840~) Portrait of Joseph Thorp Elliston, ca. 1840. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/1855
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/1855>.