Map of the First Surveyors District of Tennessee
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Map showing range and section lines, counties, streams, some roads, and county seats of Tennessee's First Surveyors District--basically the old North Carolina Military Reservation of middle Tennessee. The Tennessee River appears at the western edge of the map. The counties of Montgomery, Robertson, Sumner, Dickson, Davidson, Williamson, Rutherford, Wilson, Smith, Jackson, and White are labeled. The country seats that are designated are Clarksville, Springfield, Gallatin, Charlotte, Nashville, Franklin, Jefferson, Lebanon, Carthage, and Williamsburg. Because these surveyor district maps were produced by official state surveyors to facilitate the location of public land entries and grants, they are divided into equidistant townships and sections. This especially large map has been divided into six images.
The twelve district surveyors maps were produced as Indian treaties and land cessions opened up new territory for state land sales--the location of which "grants" was their chief purpose.
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Tennessee State Library & Archives
- Cumberland River (Ky. and Tenn.) county seats
Cities & towns
- Tennessee, Middle
- Standardized Rights Statement
- The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Map of the First Surveyors District of Tennessee. 1807-1808. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/61. (Accessed November 12, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- (1807-1808) Map of the First Surveyors District of Tennessee. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/61
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/61>.