William A. Eichbaum, circa 1860
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A carte-de-visite studio portrait of William A. Eichbaum. Eichbaum was born in 1787 in Dublin, Ireland, the son of German immigrants. He immigrated to the United States around 1820, and came to Nashville, Tennessee around 1821. He married Catherine M. Stearns in Davidson County, Tennessee on Jan. 6, 1825. He was a bookseller and stationer in Nashville from about 1831 to 1848, and owner of the Nashville Bookstore, located next to Yeatman and Woods Bank on College Street (Third Avenue) in 1839. He built the first brick house on Vine Street (Seventh Avenue), on the west corner of the intersection with Cedar Street (Charlotte Avenue). He was very active in civic and religious organizations, serving as an elder and teacher of Bible classes in the Christian Church. Eichbaum served as the first treasurer of the Mt. Olivet Cemetery Company from 1856 to 1865, and was a charter member of the Tennessee Historical Society. He was also an artist of pen-an-ink wash drawings of various Nashville buildings, i.e. the "William A. Eichbaum Sketchbook, ca. 1857." Imprinted on verso of this carte-de-visite image: Metropolitan Gallery J. H. Van Stavoren, College St. 53, Nashville, Tenn." Handwritten notes on verso: "Wm. Eichbaum came from Ireland, buried Mt. Olivet." Forms part of the Nashville Room Historic Photographs Collection. 1 carte de visite : sepia ; 2.5 x 3.875 in.
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Nashville Public Library
- Eichbaum, William A., 1787-1873
Booksellers and bookselling--Tennessee--Nashville
College Street (Nashville, Tenn.)
Third Avenue (Nashville, Tenn.)
- Still imagePhotographsCartes-de-visite
- U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital content, which is provided for educational purposes only and may not be downloaded, reproduced, or distributed for any other purpose without written permission. Please contact the Special Collections Division of the Nashville Public Library, 615 Church Street, Nashville, Tennessee, 37219. Telephone (615) 862-5782.
- Chicago citation style
- William A. Eichbaum, circa 1860. 1860~. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/2245. (Accessed November 14, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- (1860~) William A. Eichbaum, circa 1860. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/2245
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/2245>.