Postoffice - Custom House, Nashville, 1907
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A postcard of the Post Office and Custom House located on Broadway, between Seventh and Eighth Avenues. The original building, which can be identified by its tower, was started in 1875 and completed in 1882. An addition which doubled the amount of office space was attached to the back of the original building between 1903 and 1905. Construction on the East and West wings began in 1916 and was completed in 1918. During this era, "custom house" was an umbrella term used for the multi-use buildings being constructed under the sponsorship of the Department of the Treasury. Also called the Federal Building or the Federal Office Building, it is three stories tall and boasts a clock tower of 190 feet. The architecture type is Gothic. The architect was William A. Potter, who was especially known for favoring the Gothic style. Construction materials included stone and iron. In 1934 the post office moved out of the Federal Building and into a new building next to Union Station. Forms part of the Nashville Room Postcard Collection. 1 postcard : col. ; 3.5 x 5.5 in.
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Nashville Public Library
- Zibart Brothers (Publishers)
- United States Post Office (Nashville, Tenn.)
United States Custom House (Nashville, Tenn.)
Central business districts--Tennessee--Nashville
Nashville (Tenn.)--Buildings, structures, etc
Seventh Avenue (Nashville, Tenn.)
Broadway Avenue (Nashville, Tenn.)
Eighth Avenue (Nashville, Tenn.)
- Still imagePostcards
- U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital content, which is provided for educational purposes only and may not be downloaded, reproduced, or distributed for any other purpose without written permission. Please contact the Special Collections Division of the Nashville Public Library, 615 Church Street, Nashville, Tennessee, 37219. Telephone (615) 862-5782.
- Chicago citation style
- Postoffice - Custom House, Nashville, 1907. 1907. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/728. (Accessed December 14, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- (1907) Postoffice - Custom House, Nashville, 1907. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/728
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/728>.