Map of particular land grants in Cumberland and Morgan counties
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This map from the McKenzie & Son Mountain District Land Records shows land entry numbers and acreage for a number of tracts near Crossville and Wartburg, as well as towns, roads, the Roane Iron Works in Rockwood, rivers, creeks, the Tennessee and Pacific Railroad survey and the Cincinnati Southern Railroad. The historic Old Walton Road, Old Emory Road, and a number of other early roads are drawn and named.
Maps drawn by the surveying firm of McKenzie and Son of Chattanooga, 1880-1916, were generally used as exhibits in litigations in which Mountain District land grants were involved. These grants and this district were particularly prone to fraud and overlapping claims, such that surveyors were called in to help adjudicate disputes with the help of such maps.
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Tennessee State Library & Archives
- Cincinnati Southern Railway Company
Tennessee and Pacific Railroad Company
- Cumberland County (Tenn.)
- Standardized Rights Statement
- The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Map of particular land grants in Cumberland and Morgan counties. undated. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://teva.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/8934. (Accessed January 25, 2020.)
- APA citation style
- (undated) Map of particular land grants in Cumberland and Morgan counties. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://teva.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/8934
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://teva.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/8934>.