Map showing the lands assigned to emigrant Indians west of Arkansas and Missouri (1836)
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This Congressionally authorized map shows lands designated by tribe for Indians who had emigrated and re-located west of the Mississippi River prior to the general removal of the Southeastern tribes in 1838. Indian nation boundaries in this trans-Mississippi Indian territory are named and delineated in color. Some of the emigrating Indian nations include Cherokees, Creeks, Choctaws, and Pottawatomies. Major rivers and the locations of some U.S. forts are also indicated. Included with the map are statistical charts that specify the quantity of land assigned to tribes who emigrated from the Eastern to the Western side of the Mississippi.
More data about this map can be found in the Congressional record from 1835-1836, from the House Executive Documents, Serial Number 289, Volume 4, House Document 181, from the 1st session of the 24th Congress. These documents describe Colonel Henry Dodge's expedition to the Rocky Mountains. There is detailed information about the journey, including transcriptions of speeches to Native American chiefs and tribes, and day-to-day information about their route and experiences.
- Jones, R., Adjutant-General
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Tennessee State Library & Archives
- Indians of North America--Relocation--Maps
United States--Discovery and exploration--Maps
Forts & fortifications
- Standardized Rights Statement
- The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Jones, R., Adjutant-General. Map showing the lands assigned to emigrant Indians west of Arkansas and Missouri (1836). 1836. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://teva.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/52. (Accessed February 25, 2020.)
- APA citation style
- Jones, R., Adjutant-General, (1836) Map showing the lands assigned to emigrant Indians west of Arkansas and Missouri (1836). Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://teva.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/52
- MLA citation style
- Jones, R., Adjutant-General. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://teva.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/52>.