- View Full Item
- Created Date
This souvenir handkerchief from St. Nazaire, France belonged to William H. Smith of Rutherford County, Tennessee. Smith served as a motor mechanic in the signal corps. He was deployed to France from July 15, 1918 to May 30, 1919. The flags of the allied nations are shown in the "1919." Souvenir handkerchiefs were popular among American soldiers and cottage industries among the French civilians kept up the supply. Smith rose to the rank of corporal on April 10, 1919 and was discharged June 17, 1919.
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Tennessee State Library & Archives
- Saint-Nazaire (France)
- Standardized Rights Statement
- This Rights Statement should be used for Items for which the copyright status is unknown and for which the data provider has not undertaken an effort to determine the copyright status of the work.
- Chicago citation style
- Souvenir handkerchief. 1919. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll29/id/1559. (Accessed September 17, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- (1919) Souvenir handkerchief. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll29/id/1559
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll29/id/1559>.