Old Hamilton Methodist Church, circa 2001
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A photograph of the land where the Old Hamilton Methodist Church used to stand near Murfreesboro Road in Nashville, Tennessee. In its place is a historic marker which reads: "Old Hamilton Methodist Church - 1834-1987 - Established in 1834 and located in the adjacent cemetery, was one of the first Methodist congregations in southeast Davidson Co. Early destroyed by fire, and again during the Civil War, rebuilt on this site in 1866 and used until 1987. 153 years service to God and Community." The original church was built from logs in 1834 and burned in 1860. The second building was built in 1861 and burned during the Civil War. The third building was built in 1866 at a cost of $343.00. After various renovations, additions, and re-modeling, the church was torn down in 1987. The present day sanctuary for Hamilton United Methodist was completed in October 1977 at the corner of Murfreesboro Road and Hamilton Church Road. Forms part of the Historic Nashville, Inc. Sacred Sites Survey Project. 1 photograph : b & w ; 4 x 6 in.
- Historic Nashville, Inc
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Nashville Public Library
- Hamilton United Methodist Church (Nashville, Tenn.)
Old Hamilton Methodist Church (Nashville, Tenn.)
Methodist church buildings--Tennessee--Nashville
Protestant church buildings--Tennessee--Nashville
Nashville (Tenn.)--Buildings, structures, etc
Nashville (Tenn.)--Religious life and customs
Murfreesboro Road (Nashville, Tenn.)
Hamilton Church Road (Nashville, Tenn.)
- Still imagePhotographs
- U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital content, which is provided for educational purposes only and may not be downloaded, reproduced, or distributed for any other purpose without written permission. Please contact the Special Collections Division of the Nashville Public Library, 615 Church Street, Nashville, Tennessee, 37219. Telephone (615) 862-5782.
- Chicago citation style
- Historic Nashville, Inc. Old Hamilton Methodist Church, circa 2001. 2001~. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/1307. (Accessed November 20, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- Historic Nashville, Inc, (2001~) Old Hamilton Methodist Church, circa 2001. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/1307
- MLA citation style
- Historic Nashville, Inc. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/1307>.