Map of Sullivan County, Tennessee, showing civil districts (1836)
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Hand-drawn map of Sullivan County (Tenn.) outlining the newly established civil districts. Surveyor's calls for each civil district's boundaries are provided. Blountville, Paperville, stage roads, Ready Creek road, Bays Mountain, Iron Mountains, and the Holston and Watauga rivers and their tributaries are all drawn.
These 1836 county maps showing the new civil districts, required by the new state constitution, written in 1834 and ratified the following year, which mandated such civil divisions for taxation purposes, were done for many counties. Sullivan County was established in 1779 when it was still a part of North Carolina. It is Tennessee's second oldest county, with the oldest being Washington. It is named for Revolutionary War general John Sullivan and was part of the State of Franklin during its existence from 1784-1788. Its largest city is Kingsport and the county seat is Blountville.
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Tennessee State Library & Archives
- Sullivan County (Tenn.)--Maps, Manuscript
Watauga River (N.C. and Tenn.) Holston River (Va. and Tenn.) Bays Mountain (Tenn.)
- Standardized Rights Statement
- The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Map of Sullivan County, Tennessee, showing civil districts (1836). 1836. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://teva.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/9821. (Accessed January 29, 2020.)
- APA citation style
- (1836) Map of Sullivan County, Tennessee, showing civil districts (1836). Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://teva.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/9821
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://teva.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/9821>.