States of America
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This London-published color map reflects twenty "States of America," each marked with a Roman numeral. An 1840 reprint of an 1823 publication, the map actually reflects an earlier period in the nation's history with its labeling of territories, Indian tribes, and East Tennessee as "Franklinia" (a reference to the frontier-era State of Franklin). Noted on the map are cities and towns; rivers and major waterways; and Indian towns including Creek and Cherokee settlements. The map reaches north into Canada, south to the Gulf of Mexico, east to the North Atlantic Ocean, and west to Louisiana.
This rather fanciful depiction of the early United States--e.g. Indiana is shown east of Ohio--is interesting for what it tells us about the state of English knowledge about the former American colonies. In Tennessee, "Franklinia" refers to the attempt made by the inhabitants of North Carolina's trans-Appalachian counties of Washington, Sullivan, and Greene to form the independent "State of Franklin" from 1784 to 1788 and illustrates the lasting memory of this experiment in self-government.
- Fisher, Henry
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Tennessee State Library & Archives
- United States--History--Maps
Indians of North America--Maps
Cities & towns
Bodies of water
- Standardized Rights Statement
- The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Fisher, Henry. States of America. 1840. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/373. (Accessed November 12, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- Fisher, Henry, (1840) States of America. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/373
- MLA citation style
- Fisher, Henry. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/373>.