Holy Trinity Episcopal Church, 2001 May
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A photograph of Holy Trinity Episcopal Church, Nashville's second-oldest Episcopal church building. This church is located at 615 Sixth Avenue South. The congregation was founded in 1852 as a free church, open to all people. Holy Trinity evolved from a mission church of Nashville's oldest Episcopal congregation, Christ Church, now Christ Church Cathedral. Construction on the main building was completed in 1853, and the tower was finished in 1887. The architecture style is Gothic revival. Both the foundation and the exterior walls are made of rough cut limestone blocks. The roof is gabled and made of tar shingles. The windows are in the shape of narrow gothic arches and the panes are stained glass. The doors are a combination of metal and wood. Special features include a large stone tower at the front, two stone crosses at the rear roof peak and architectural buttresses. By 1907 the church had a predominately African American congregation and was soon officially designated for use by black parishioners by the Episcopal Diocese of Tennessee. Today the church is racially integrated but retains its historically African American culture and heritage. Forms part of the Historic Nashville, Inc. Sacred Sites Survey Project. 1 photograph : col. ; 4 x 6 in.
- Historic Nashville, Inc
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Nashville Public Library
- Holy Trinity Episcopal Church (Nashville, Tenn.)
African American churches--Tennessee--Nashville
Episcopal church buildings--Tennessee--Nashville
Protestant church buildings--Tennessee--Nashville
Central business districts--Tennessee--Nashville
Nashville (Tenn.)--Buildings, structures, etc
Nashville (Tenn.)--Religious life and customs
Sixth Avenue (Nashville, Tenn.)
- Still imagePhotographs
- U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital content, which is provided for educational purposes only and may not be downloaded, reproduced, or distributed for any other purpose without written permission. Please contact the Special Collections Division of the Nashville Public Library, 615 Church Street, Nashville, Tennessee, 37219. Telephone (615) 862-5782.
- Chicago citation style
- Historic Nashville, Inc. Holy Trinity Episcopal Church, 2001 May. 2001-05. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/1069. (Accessed October 15, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- Historic Nashville, Inc, (2001-05) Holy Trinity Episcopal Church, 2001 May. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/1069
- MLA citation style
- Historic Nashville, Inc. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/1069>.