The New Christian Church, circa 1859
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A page from a mounted and bound volume of twenty-five pen-and-ink wash drawings, and two pen-and-ink maps of Nashville created by William A. Eichbaum during the 1850s. Eichbaum was a Nashville bookseller and resident for fifty years. This drawing is of the new Christian Church, built in the early 1850s to replace the old Christian Church. This new structure was built on Cherry Street (now Fourth Avenue). A broad flight of stairs led to the portico, supported by four massive fluted columns. Special features included a belfry and a spire measuring 150 feet high. This church burned in a fire in 1857, forcing the congregation to return to the old Christian Church building on Spring Street (now Church Street). A new building on Vine Street was completed in 1889, giving the church its current name, Vine Street Church of Christ. In the mid 1950s the Vine Street Church was razed to make way for a parking lot. The church then relocated to Harding Road. Forms part of the William A. Eichbaum Sketchbook. 1 drawing : col. ; 5.75 x 9 in.
- Eichbaum, William A., 1787-1873
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Nashville Public Library
- Eichbaum, William A., 1787-1873--Notebooks, sketchbooks, etc
Christian Church (Nashville, Tenn.)
Vine Street Christian Church (Nashville, Tenn.)
Nashville (Tenn.)--Buildings, structures, etc
Nashville (Tenn.)--Religious life and customs
Spring Street (Nashville, Tenn.)
Church Street (Nashville, Tenn.)
- Still imageDrawingsSketchbooks
- U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital content, which is provided for educational purposes only and may not be downloaded, reproduced, or distributed for any other purpose without written permission. Please contact the Special Collections Division of the Nashville Public Library, 615 Church Street, Nashville, Tennessee, 37219. Telephone (615) 862-5782.
- Chicago citation style
- Eichbaum, William A., 1787-1873. The New Christian Church, circa 1859. 1859~. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/291. (Accessed October 14, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- Eichbaum, William A., 1787-1873, (1859~) The New Christian Church, circa 1859. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/291
- MLA citation style
- Eichbaum, William A., 1787-1873. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/291>.