Photograph of the Young Moderns Den of the Nashville Public Library, circa 1960
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A photograph of the Young Moderns Den of the Nashville Public Library, circa 1960. The young adults are making use of the educational and entertainment resources, while one couple dances to the sounds of a phonograph. The Young Moderns Den was located in the basement of the library. The public library building was constructed with a $100,000 grant from philanthropist Andrew Carnegie, and the cornerstone was laid on April 27, 1903. Officially opened to the public on September 19, 1904, the building was located at 8th Avenue North and Union Street. The Carnegie Library of Nashville was renamed the Nashville Public Library in 1934, being active at this location until 1963, when the new Metropolitan Government began construction on a new main library upon the site. Photographed by Wiles-Hood. Forms part of the Nashville Room Historic Photographs Collection. 1 photograph : b & w ; 8 x 10 in.
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Nashville Public Library
- Public Library of Nashville and Davidson County--History
Libraries and society--Tennessee--Nashville
Social & civic facilities--Tennessee--Nashville
Manners & customs--Tennessee--Nashville
Social life & customs--Tennessee--Nashville
Nashville (Tenn.)--Buildings, structures, etc
Nashville (Tenn.)--Manners and customs
- Still imagePhotographs
- U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital content, which is provided for educational purposes only and may not be downloaded, reproduced, or distributed for any other purpose without written permission. Please contact the Special Collections Division of the Nashville Public Library, 615 Church Street, Nashville, Tennessee, 37219. Telephone (615) 862-5782.
- Chicago citation style
- Photograph of the Young Moderns Den of the Nashville Public Library, circa 1960. 1960~. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/515. (Accessed December 8, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- (1960~) Photograph of the Young Moderns Den of the Nashville Public Library, circa 1960. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/515
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/515>.