A new map of America from the latest discoveries (1763)
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Schematic, hand-colored map of North America in 1763 originally taken from the London Magazine. British occupied land is in red, French occupied land is in green, and Spanish occupied land is in yellow. The Earl of Granville's line is shown in North Carolina and extends into what will become Tennessee, as are other colonial boundaries. Towns, settlements, native villages, and forts are all indicated. General location of Native American tribes are also denoted.
The French and Indian War (1754–1763) was fought between the colonies of British America and New France, with both sides supported by Native American allies. Fighting took place primarily from Virginia to Newfoundland. France ceded its territory east of the Mississippi to Great Britain and French Louisiana west of the Mississippi River to Spain, making Great Britain the dominant colonial power in North America.
- Spilsbury, John, 1739-1769
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Tennessee State Library & Archives
- North America--Maps--Early works to 1800
French and Indian War, 1754-1763
Forts & fortifications
- Standardized Rights Statement
- The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Spilsbury, John, 1739-1769. A new map of America from the latest discoveries (1763). 1763. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://teva.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/9050. (Accessed January 26, 2020.)
- APA citation style
- Spilsbury, John, 1739-1769, (1763) A new map of America from the latest discoveries (1763). Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://teva.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/9050
- MLA citation style
- Spilsbury, John, 1739-1769. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://teva.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/9050>.