Map of the city of Memphis & vicinity (1925)
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This detailed color street map of Memphis (Tenn.) and its immediate environs contains various data and names landowners provided by Bluff City Abstract Co. In the city itself, the map highlights and names parks, streets, public buildings, churches, cemeteries, the zoo and schools, including the West Tennessee State Normal School (current-day University of Memphis). Near the bottom, in P8, exists a Colored Orphans Home. Outside the city limits, it shows property tracts with owners' names and acreages. Included in these is a tract of land owned by Clarence Saunders, the founder of Piggly Wiggly supermarkets, who built the Pink Palace in this location just a couple years prior.
The University of Memphis was founded under the General Education Bill, enacted by the Tennessee Legislature in 1909. Known originally as West Tennessee State Normal School, the institution opened on Sept. 10, 1912. Similarly, the Memphis Zoo was created in April 1906 and has been a major tenant of Overton Park for more than 100 years and spans 76 acres. Clarence Saunders gifted the Pink Palace to the City of Memphis in the late 1920s.
- Ohman Map Co
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Tennessee State Library & Archives
- Memphis (Tenn.)--Maps
- Standardized Rights Statement
- This Rights Statement should be used for Items for which the copyright status is unknown and for which the data provider has not undertaken an effort to determine the copyright status of the work.
- Chicago citation style
- Ohman Map Co. Map of the city of Memphis & vicinity (1925). 1925. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/8885. (Accessed November 21, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- Ohman Map Co, (1925) Map of the city of Memphis & vicinity (1925). Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/8885
- MLA citation style
- Ohman Map Co. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/8885>.