Battle Ground Academy and Gymnasium, Franklin, Tenn., circa 1909
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A postcard of Battle Ground Academy and Gymnasium, circa 1909. Established in 1889, the school was named for its original location on the battle ground of the Civil War Battle of Franklin. The first campus was erected at the corner of Columbia Avenue and Cleburne Street in Franklin, Tennessee. S. V. Wall and W. D. Mooney were chosen as the first to head the new academy. It was established to educate young men, but young women were allowed to attend. In 1902, the original school burned and the school was relocated to a site on Columbia Avenue in Franklin. Students boarded in private homes until circa 1922, when the first dormitory was built. A decision was made to go to an all male academy and operated as such for approximately fifty years, when in the 1970s the board program was phased out and subsequently women were once again admitted. Today, the private coeducational school is located at a new site with state-of-the art facilities and operates two campuses and has the three divisions of Lower School, Middle School, and Upper School. Forms part of the Nashville Room Postcard Collection. 1 postcard : col. ; 3.5 x 5.5 in.
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Nashville Public Library
- H. G. Zimmerman & Co. (Publisher)
- Battle Ground Academy (Franklin, Tenn.)
Sports & Recreation
Franklin (Tenn.)--Buildings, structures, etc
Columbia Avenue (Franklin, Tenn.)
- Still imagePostcards
- U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital content, which is provided for educational purposes only and may not be downloaded, reproduced, or distributed for any other purpose without written permission. Please contact the Special Collections Division of the Nashville Public Library, 615 Church Street, Nashville, Tennessee, 37219. Telephone (615) 862-5782.
- Chicago citation style
- Battle Ground Academy and Gymnasium, Franklin, Tenn., circa 1909. 1909~. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/2315. (Accessed October 15, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- (1909~) Battle Ground Academy and Gymnasium, Franklin, Tenn., circa 1909. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/2315
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/2315>.