Scarritt College for Christian Workers, Nashville, Tennessee, 1927 November
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A photograph of the Scarritt College for Christian Workers, circa Nov. 1927. The annotation on the verso reads: "Scarritt School of Religion, Nov. 1927." Located on Nineteenth Avenue South, in Nashville, Tennessee, Scarritt College came to Nashville from Kentucky in 1924 as a training school for women Christian missionaries. Like a teaching college prepared teachers, this Methodist Episcopal school set out to prepare religious workers. The soaring Gothic tower is part of the Belle H. Bennett Memorial, which is comprised of the central group of buildings on campus. Belle Harris Bennett co-founded the school along with Dr. Nathan Scarritt. Bennett was a vital member of the women's suffrage movement, and also instrumental in Christian education. The tower, along with the other buildings, is constructed with colored stone from the eastern part of Tennessee, trimmed with cut stone from Indiana and Kentucky. It was constructed to thrust upwards, to inspire reverence and awe of God. Henry C. Hibbs of Nashville designed the tower and the rest of the buildings on campus, dedicated in March 1928. Hibbs was awarded a gold medal for his work on Scarritt and was recognized in the December 1929 issue of Southern Architect and Building News. Today the school is used as a conference and retreat center. Then school's name has changed to Scarritt-Bennett Center to reflect both of its co-founders. Forms part of the Nashville Room Historic Photographs Collection. 1 snapshot photograph : b & w ; 3.25 x 4.25 in.
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Nashville Public Library
- Hibbs, Henry C. (Clossen), 1883-1949
Bennett, Belle Harris, 1852-1922--Memorials
Scarritt College for Christian Workers--History
Colleges and Universities
Universities and colleges
Nineteenth Avenue (Nashville, Tenn.)
Nashville (Tenn.)--Buildings, structures, etc
Nashville (Tenn.)--Intellectual life
- Still imagePhotographs
- U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital content, which is provided for educational purposes only and may not be downloaded, reproduced, or distributed for any other purpose without written permission. Please contact the Special Collections Division of the Nashville Public Library, 615 Church Street, Nashville, Tennessee, 37219. Telephone (615) 862-5782.
- Chicago citation style
- Scarritt College for Christian Workers, Nashville, Tennessee, 1927 November. 1927-11. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/2372. (Accessed November 20, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- (1927-11) Scarritt College for Christian Workers, Nashville, Tennessee, 1927 November. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/2372
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/2372>.