Map of Wayne and Hardin counties (1829)
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Hand-drawn map of Wayne and Hardin counties, as well as parts of Perry, Hickman, and Henderson counties. Wayne and Hardin counties are divided into numbered ranges and sections. Map shows rivers, creeks, and river forks. It also identifies early towns in the area including: Hardin[s]ville, Savannah, Waynesboro, Lidden[s]ville (present-day Martins Mills), Carrollville (Clifton), Shan[n]onville, Lexington, and Perryville. Other features denoted are Huddleston Bluff and J. Rayburn's residence. The purpose of the map seems to be the division of land around the Tennessee River between the counties.
Wayne County was established in 1817 from portions of Hickman and Humphreys counties. It is named for Revolutionary War General Anthony Wayne. Its county seat is Waynesboro, and its largest city is Clifton, supposedly named because it is situated on a cliff. Hardin County was created in 1819 from land annexed in the Jackson Purchase. It is named for Revolutionary War veteran and early landowner, Joseph Hardin, Sr. Its county seat and largest city is Savannah, named for Savannah, Georgia.
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Tennessee State Library & Archives
- Wayne County (Tenn.)--Maps
Hardin County (Tenn.)--Maps
Perry County (Tenn.)--Maps
Cities & towns
- Wayne County (Tenn.) Hardin County (Tenn.) Perry County (Tenn.) Hickman County (Tenn.) Henderson County (Tenn.)
- Standardized Rights Statement
- The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Map of Wayne and Hardin counties (1829). 1829. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/8865. (Accessed October 19, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- (1829) Map of Wayne and Hardin counties (1829). Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/8865
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/8865>.