The European War. British Advance on the Somme, Serie 20, Detachable Postcards, Paris, France, 1919
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A booklet of twenty war postcards titled “The European War. British Advance on the Somme, Serie 20. Detachable Postcards.” This booklet was published in Paris, France at Levy Fils et Cie in 1919, with English and French captions. The featured postcards are: 1. The Great War. Peronne entirely destroyed by the Germans before their flight; 2. Peronne. The Church destroyed by the Germans; 3. Peronne. Aspect of the town entirely destroyed by the Germans before their flight; 4. Peronne. The Germans have entirely destroyed the town before their flight; 5. Peronne entirely destroyed by the Germans, to remark the german inscription on the front of the house: “Don’t be angry, but only admire;” 6. Nesle. The British soldiers repairing the roads; 7. Nesle. Remains of the Railway Station.; 8. Ham. The North-Canal and remains of the bridge; 9. Ham. The American journalist mission in front of the castle; 10. Biaches (Somme) Entrance of the sugar refinery; 11. The Village of Feuilleres (Somme); 12. Combles. A Street; 13. Hebuterne. The Church destroyed by the Germans before their flight; 14. Estrees (Somme) Entrance of the Village; 15. Laucourt. Ruins of the Church and of the Village; 16. Fay (Somme) Ruins in the Village; 17. Assevillers (Somme) The Church and Central Street; 18. Frise. The Church after the bombardment; 19. The Village of Herbecourt; 20. Flaucourt. A Street. Historically, The Battle of the Somme encompassed a series of battles for the British Army in the sector of the Western Front south of Arras and north of the Somme River. The battle was launched on 1st July 1916 following a seven day artillery preparatory bombardment, the scale of which had never yet been seen in modern warfare. The battles to win ground from the German Second Army continued over four and a half months and the battle officially drew to a close on 19th November. World War I, also known as the First World War or the Great War, was a global war centered in Europe that began on 28 July 1914 and lasted until 11 November 1918. Forms part of the Clarence L. Alford Collection, Box 6: Post Card Books. 1 postcard, booklet.
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Nashville Public Library
- World War, 1914-1918--Pictorial works
World War, 1914-1918--History--Sources
Nashville and Davidson County (Tenn.)--History--Sources
- Still imageTextPostcards
- English, French
- U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital content, which is provided for educational purposes only and may not be downloaded, reproduced, or distributed for any other purpose without written permission. Please contact: Metro Nashville Archives, 615 Church Street, Nashville, Tennessee, 37219. Telephone (615) 862-5880.
- Chicago citation style
- The European War. British Advance on the Somme, Serie 20, Detachable Postcards, Paris, France, 1919. 1919. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/7291. (Accessed September 19, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- (1919) The European War. British Advance on the Somme, Serie 20, Detachable Postcards, Paris, France, 1919. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/7291
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/7291>.