Ward Seminary, Nashville, Tenn., between 1907 and 1914
- View Full Item
- Created Date
- between 1907 and 1914
A postcard of Ward's Seminary for Young Ladies, a prestigious school for girls founded in 1865 by Dr. William E. Ward, a Presbyterian Minister and his wife, Eliza Hudson Ward. The school was located at 15 South Spruce Street (Eighth Avenue) in Nashville, Tennessee, next to the Savage House, a townhouse in downtown Nashville. The school was regarded as one of the leading schools for young women in the South. It offered training in fine arts and the "refinement of young ladies" in addition to its preparatory and collegiate curriculum. Reverend Ward directed the school until his death in 1887, after which it continued to operate for several years. On June 1, 1913, Ward's Seminary and Belmont College for Young Women merged and chartered Ward-Belmont, the first junior college in the South to receive full accreditation by the Southern Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools. Forms part of the Nashville Room Postcard Collection. 1 postcard : col. ; 3.5 x 5.5 in.
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Nashville Public Library
- S. H. Kress & Co. (Publisher)
- Ward Seminary (Nashville, Tenn.)
Women in education--Tennessee--Nashville
Eighth Avenue (Nashville, Tenn.)
Spruce Street (Nashville, Tenn.)
Nashville (Tenn.)--Intellectual life
- Still imagePostcards
- U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital content, which is provided for educational purposes only and may not be downloaded, reproduced, or distributed for any other purpose without written permission. Please contact the Special Collections Division of the Nashville Public Library, 615 Church Street, Nashville, Tennessee, 37219. Telephone (615) 862-5782.
- Chicago citation style
- Ward Seminary, Nashville, Tenn., between 1907 and 1914. between 1907 and 1914. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/2291. (Accessed October 17, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- (between 1907 and 1914) Ward Seminary, Nashville, Tenn., between 1907 and 1914. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/2291
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/2291>.