The First Baptist Church, circa 1859
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A page from a mounted and bound volume of twenty-five pen-and-ink wash drawings, and two pen-and-ink maps of Nashville created by William A. Eichbaum during the 1850s. Eichbaum was a Nashville bookseller and resident for fifty years. The drawing on this page shows the First Baptist Church on Fifth Avenue North, between Deadrick and Union Streets. Designed by Aldolphus Heiman and built by Nashville brick manufacturer Samuel Watkins, the First Baptist Church was completed in 1841. This Gothic Revival structure served the congregation for more than 40 years and was also a Federal Army hospital during the Civil War. The church was later occupied by the German Lutheran Church before it was demolished in the 1950s for the Commerce Union Bank. Forms part of the William A. Eichbaum Sketchbook. 1 drawing : col. ; 5.75 x 9 in.
- Eichbaum, William A., 1787-1873
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Nashville Public Library
- Eichbaum, William A., 1787-1873--Notebooks, sketchbooks, etc
First Baptist Church (Nashville, Tenn.)
Baptist church buildings--Tennessee--Nashville
Central business districts--Tennessee--Nashville
Nashville (Tenn.)--Buildings, structures, etc
Fifth Avenue (Nashville, Tenn.)
Nashville (Tenn.)--Religious life and customs
- Still imageDrawingsSketchbooks
- U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital content, which is provided for educational purposes only and may not be downloaded, reproduced, or distributed for any other purpose without written permission. Please contact the Special Collections Division of the Nashville Public Library, 615 Church Street, Nashville, Tennessee, 37219. Telephone (615) 862-5782.
- Chicago citation style
- Eichbaum, William A., 1787-1873. The First Baptist Church, circa 1859. 1859~. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/292. (Accessed October 20, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- Eichbaum, William A., 1787-1873, (1859~) The First Baptist Church, circa 1859. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/292
- MLA citation style
- Eichbaum, William A., 1787-1873. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/292>.