Map of the British American Plantations (1754)
- View Full Item
- Created Date
"A map of the British American plantations, extending from Boston in New England to Georgia; including all the back settlements in the respective provinces as far as the Mississippi." An exceptional map of the American colonies and backcountry published in London at the time of the French & Indian War. It shows the territory of the "Cherakees" "Chikasas" and Upper Creeks with their towns and villages, including the site of "Tanase" from which the future state's name derived. On the Cumberland River is shown “Walkers Settlement 1750,” possibly a reference to the French Lick trading outpost and Dr. Thomas Walker’s 1750 exploration down the Cumberland. What was later called the Tennessee River is named the “Hugehego or Akansea R[iver]” on which an upstream “English Fort"—probably Fort Loudoun—is indicated.
Emanuel Bowen was an English map maker in the 18th century. He produced many well-known maps of the American colonies as well as county maps of England. His son was map maker Thomas Bowen. Two of his apprentices were renowned cartographers Thomas Kitchin and Thomas Jefferys. He served as geographer to King George II of England and Louis XV of France.
- Bowen, Emanuel, -1767
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Tennessee State Library & Archives
- Atlantic Coast (North America)
North America--Civilization--British influences
United States--Maps--Early works to 1800
Great Britain--Colonies--America--Early works to 1800--Maps
Indians of North America--Maps--Early works to 1800
- Standardized Rights Statement
- The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Bowen, Emanuel, -1767. Map of the British American Plantations (1754). 1754. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://teva.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/16. (Accessed January 18, 2020.)
- APA citation style
- Bowen, Emanuel, -1767, (1754) Map of the British American Plantations (1754). Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://teva.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/16
- MLA citation style
- Bowen, Emanuel, -1767. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://teva.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/16>.