Old Hickory village blueprint map
- View Full Item
- Created Date
- 1921 February 12
Blueprint map of Old Hickory locating and naming various industrial and residential buildings. Schools, the YWCA, YMCA, "negro village," "Mexican village," and roads are all denoted. Old Hickory served as the site of the world's largest gunpowder plant during WWI. The US government purchased the property and contracted DuPont to run the facility. The plant closed at the end of WWI. Eventually, DuPont returned and manufactured Reemay, Rayon, and Cellophane at the same facility.
DuPont built and operated the Old Hickory gunpowder plant, under contract for the United States government, to manufacture smokeless gunpowder for the Allied war effort. The War Department of the Federal government paid all construction costs, which amounted to approximately $83,000,000, and DuPont received $1 in compensation. The plant was located at a bend in the Cumberland River near Nashville, Tennessee, and was 93% completed by the time of the Armistice of 11 November 1918. The Old Hickory Gunpowder plant was the largest munitions plant in the world at the time of operation, 1918-1919, occupying 4,700 acres and producing half a million pounds of powder a day.
- Shepard, W. A
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Tennessee State Library & Archives
- World war, 1914-1918
World war 1914-1918 -- war work
Chemical plants -- Tennessee
- Standardized Rights Statement
- The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Shepard, W. A. Old Hickory village blueprint map. 1921 February 12. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll29/id/2861. (Accessed September 19, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- Shepard, W. A, (1921 February 12) Old Hickory village blueprint map. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll29/id/2861
- MLA citation style
- Shepard, W. A. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll29/id/2861>.