Map of the Battle of Nashville from John Johnston's Civil War Reminiscences
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Hand-drawn map by Confederate cavalryman John Johnston, in two parts, detailing mostly second day (Dec. 16, 1864) events in the Battle of Nashville. First map details action on the Confederate left flank west of the city, showing the Federals attacking a small brigade of Confederate infantry near Charlotte and Harding Pikes and the line of Confederate retreat." Second map details second day and subsequent action between Nashville and Franklin of the Federal Cavalry, the retreat of Hood's Army, the scene of General Rucker's capture, and the last stand of the 14th Regiment, all of which took place near the old Johnston homeplace.
John Johnston was born in 1842 and joined the Confederate army in April 1861. He served in Nathan Bedford Forrest's cavalry during the war. Following the war he became a lawyer in Memphis and wrote a memoir of his experiences during the Civil War. He died in 1928.
- Johnston, John,--1842-1928
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Tennessee State Library & Archives
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
Nashville, Battle of, Nashville, Tenn. 1864
United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865--Personal narratives, Confederate
- Nashville (Tenn.)
- Standardized Rights Statement
- The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Johnston, John,--1842-1928. Map of the Battle of Nashville from John Johnston's Civil War Reminiscences. 1905. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/79. (Accessed October 22, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- Johnston, John,--1842-1928, (1905) Map of the Battle of Nashville from John Johnston's Civil War Reminiscences. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/79
- MLA citation style
- Johnston, John,--1842-1928. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/79>.