A new and accurate map of America
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Emanuel Bowen's map of North and South America and part of northern Africa. The coasts are depicted in detail, with some North American colonial boundaries included. Some tribal designations are shown. Geographic features include rivers, lakes, mountains, gulfs, oceans, banks, and bays. Western North America is called New Albion and most of Northwest North America is listed as "Parts Undiscovered" Includes Pacific Islands with dates and names of explorers. The cartouche depicts native peoples, a tropical scene, European colonists, and a wooden chest.
Emanuel Bowen was an English map maker in the 18th century. He produced many well-known maps of the American colonies as well as county maps of England. His son was map maker Thomas Bowen. Two of his apprentices were renowned cartographers Thomas Kitchin and Thomas Jefferys. He served as geographer to King George II of England and Louis XV of France.
- Bowen, Emanuel, -1767
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Tennessee State Library & Archives
- Standardized Rights Statement
- The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Bowen, Emanuel, -1767. A new and accurate map of America. 1748. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/9373. (Accessed November 22, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- Bowen, Emanuel, -1767, (1748) A new and accurate map of America. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/9373
- MLA citation style
- Bowen, Emanuel, -1767. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/9373>.