St. Mary's Catholic Church, circa 2001
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A photograph of St. Mary's Catholic Church located at 330 Fifth Avenue North in downtown Nashville, Tennessee. St. Mary's Catholic Church, the first Roman-Catholic Cathedral in Tennessee, was designed by William Strickland, architect for the Tennessee State Capitol. The edifice was erected in the Greek Revival style at Summer Street (now Fifth Avenue) and Cedar Street (now Charlotte Street) in 1844 and officially dedicated as St. Mary of the Seven Sorrows Catholic Church on October 31, 1847. During the Civil War, this church was converted into a hospital. St. Mary's which was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1970, was the cathedral in the Nashville diocese until 1914, when the Cathedral of the Incarnation was built on West End Avenue. The foundation is made of smooth cut stone blocks. The exterior walls are brick and front facade is limestone. Special features include two ionic columns, a portico and a bell tower. Forms part of the Historic Nashville, Inc. Sacred Sites Survey Project. 1 photograph : col. ; 4 x 6 in.
- Historic Nashville, Inc
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Nashville Public Library
- St. Mary's Church (Nashville, Tenn.)
Catholic church buildings--Tennessee--Nashville
Greek revival (Architecture)--Tennessee--Nashville
Central business districts--Tennessee--Nashville
Nashville (Tenn.)--Buildings, structures, etc
Nashville (Tenn.)--Religious life and customs
Fifth Avenue (Nashville, Tenn.)
- Still imagePhotographs
- U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital content, which is provided for educational purposes only and may not be downloaded, reproduced, or distributed for any other purpose without written permission. Please contact the Special Collections Division of the Nashville Public Library, 615 Church Street, Nashville, Tennessee, 37219. Telephone (615) 862-5782.
- Chicago citation style
- Historic Nashville, Inc. St. Mary's Catholic Church, circa 2001. 2001~. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/1518. (Accessed December 15, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- Historic Nashville, Inc, (2001~) St. Mary's Catholic Church, circa 2001. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/1518
- MLA citation style
- Historic Nashville, Inc. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/1518>.