Linguistic stocks of American Indians north of Mexico
- View Full Item
- Created Date
From John Wesley Powell's Indian Linguistic Families of North America. This color map shows 58 areas of Indian habitation grouped by native language. The map is helpful in understanding the possible early relationships of the various Native American tribes, such as the linguistic affinities between the Cherokee and Iroquois Nations. Powell was one of the first American scientists to undertake ethnographic studies of native Americans, of which this map is an artifact. There is also a small inset of the Aleutian Islands in the lower left.
John Wesley Powell was the great Western explorer, geologist and Union veteran. Having lost his right arm at Shiloh, Powell went on to become the first director of the Smithsonian Bureau of Ethnology, the second director of the United States Geological Survey. He is credited with the first non-native exploration of the Grand Canyon and early efforts to preserve it and other natural wonders of the West. The map was compiled under the direction of Henry Gannett (1846-1914), who established the geography program in the U.S. Census Office. In 1882 he created a similar program at the USGS, which became the Division of Geography in 1885 and produced the first topographic map sheets published in the General Atlas of the United States four years later.
- Powell, John Wesley, 1834-1902
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Tennessee State Library & Archives
- Indians of North America--Languages--Maps
Smithsonian Institution. Bureau of American Ethnology
- Standardized Rights Statement
- The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Powell, John Wesley, 1834-1902. Linguistic stocks of American Indians north of Mexico. 1891. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/8847. (Accessed October 21, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- Powell, John Wesley, 1834-1902, (1891) Linguistic stocks of American Indians north of Mexico. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/8847
- MLA citation style
- Powell, John Wesley, 1834-1902. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/8847>.