Tulane Hotel, between 1930 and 1940
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A photograph of the Tulane Hotel as it appeared circa the 1930s, located at the intersection of Eighth Avenue North and Church Street in downtown Nashville, Tennessee. This hotel was erected in 1894 as the Nicholson Hotel on the site of the old Nicholson House (a fancy boarding house beginning in the 1860s and the residence of I. C. Nicholson). In 1896, the hotel, with its renovation and expansion, was renamed the "Tulane" for one of the new owner's relatives. In 1897, during the Tennessee Centennial Exposition, it held visitors from all over the world. In 1911, Anne Dallas Dudley and several other women met in a parlor of the Tulane Hotel and founded the Nashville Equal Suffrage League, an activist organization in support for the right of women to vote. During the 1940s there were many elegant formal balls, election year celebrations, Christmases, and entertainment for soldiers during World War II. In 1947, Castle Studio, a significant country music recording studio was established at the site. In the 1950s, National Life and Accident Insurance purchased the building for approximately $850,000. The Tulane closed its doors April 1956 and a few months later in November this multi-story landmark was razed to make way for a parking lot. Forms part of the Nashville Room Historic Photographs Collection. 1 photograph : b & w ; 8 x 10 in.
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Nashville Public Library
- Tulane Hotel (Nashville, Tenn.)
Central business districts--Tennessee--Nashville
Eighth Avenue (Nashville, Tenn.)
Church Street (Nashville, Tenn.)
Nashville (Tenn.)--Buildings, structures, etc
- Still imagePhotographs
- U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital content, which is provided for educational purposes only and may not be downloaded, reproduced, or distributed for any other purpose without written permission. Please contact the Special Collections Division of the Nashville Public Library, 615 Church Street, Nashville, Tennessee, 37219. Telephone (615) 862-5782.
- Chicago citation style
- Tulane Hotel, between 1930 and 1940. 1930/1939. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/2283. (Accessed September 20, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- (1930/1939) Tulane Hotel, between 1930 and 1940. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/2283
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/2283>.