Sam Davis Hotel, 7th Ave. at Commerce, Nashville, Tenn., between 1928 and 1938
- View Full Item
- Created Date
- between 1928 and 1938
A postcard of the Sam Davis Hotel, a business property named for Sam Davis, the "Boy Hero of the Confederacy." The twelve-story building was located at the corner of 132 Seventh Avenue North at the corner of Commerce Street in downtown Nashville, Tenn. The hotel formally opened January 1, 1928. The postcard advertises "200 rooms with combination tub and shower baths." Frank Davis was the Manager. The structure was designed by Marr & Holman, a Nashville architectural firm and built by the V. L. Nicholson Company of Knoxville. The building was constructed of reinforced concrete and steel, with exterior brick walls faced with red tapestry brick and elaborately ornamented with stone trimmings. The Sam Davis Hotel was demolished on February 16, 1985, to make way for the Renaissance Hotel and the Nashville Convention Center. In this postcard view, two houses of worship are partially visible: Congregation Ohabai Sholom, (Vine Street Temple), at left, and First Church of Christ Scientist at right, built originally as the Church of the Advent Episcopal. Forms part of the Nashville Room Postcard Collection. 1 postcard : col. ; 3.5 x 5.5 in.
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Nashville Public Library
- E. C. Kropp (Publisher)
- Sam Davis Hotel (Nashville, Tenn.)
Congregation Ohabai Sholom (Nashville, Tenn.)
First Church of Christ Scientist (Nashville, Tenn.)
Church of the Advent Episcopal (Nashville, Tenn.)
Nashville (Tenn.)--Buildings, structures, etc
Seventh Avenue (Nashville, Tenn.)
Commerce Street (Nashville, Tenn.)
- Still imagePostcards
- U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital content, which is provided for educational purposes only and may not be downloaded, reproduced, or distributed for any other purpose without written permission. Please contact the Special Collections Division of the Nashville Public Library, 615 Church Street, Nashville, Tennessee, 37219. Telephone (615) 862-5782.
- Chicago citation style
- Sam Davis Hotel, 7th Ave. at Commerce, Nashville, Tenn., between 1928 and 1938. between 1928 and 1938. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/2264. (Accessed January 18, 2020.)
- APA citation style
- (between 1928 and 1938) Sam Davis Hotel, 7th Ave. at Commerce, Nashville, Tenn., between 1928 and 1938. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/2264
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/2264>.