St. Cecelia Academy. Nashville, Tenn., 1906
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A postcard of St. Cecelia Academy, a private, all-girls Roman Catholic high school founded in 1860 by the Dominican Sisters. This building is located in North Nashville at Eighth Avenue North and Clay Street. The original Victorian-style building was built in 1862 as a four-story structure with 18-inch thick brick walls and bay windows. As enrollment increased, the school later added a west wing in 1880 and an east wing in 1903. In 1953 ground was broken in West Nashville on Harding Road for a new building where the school still operates today. The original building in North Nashville is still used as a convent, the official Motherhouse of the Dominican Sisters. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976. Forms part of the Norton Postcard Collection. 1 postcard : b & w ; 3.5 x 5.5 in.
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Nashville Public Library
- Duncan R. Dorris (Publisher)
- St. Cecilia's Academy (Nashville, Tenn.)
St. Cecilia Motherhouse (Nashville, Tenn.)
Dominican Sisters of the Congregation of Saint Cecilia
Wings (Building divisions)--Tennessee--Nashville
Eighth Avenue (Nashville, Tenn.)
Clay Street (Nashville, Tenn.)
Nashville (Tenn.)--Buildings, structures, etc
- Still imagePostcards
- U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital content, which is provided for educational purposes only and may not be downloaded, reproduced, or distributed for any other purpose without written permission. Please contact the Special Collections Division of the Nashville Public Library, 615 Church Street, Nashville, Tennessee, 37219. Telephone (615) 862-5782.
- Chicago citation style
- St. Cecelia Academy. Nashville, Tenn., 1906. 1906. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/1946. (Accessed November 18, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- (1906) St. Cecelia Academy. Nashville, Tenn., 1906. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/1946
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/1946>.