Sanborn Fire Insurance Map of Nashville, Tenn. (1897, rev. 1911)
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This is a Sanborn fire insurance map showing the section between Ewing Ave and 8th Ave. in downtown Nashville, Tenn. [Vol. II Pages 131-132 of 1897 series, rev. 1911] It includes churches, houses and residences, and businesses. Notable are the Academy of the Immaculate Mother, a private Catholic school for African American children, and the Florence Crit[t]enton Mission Home for Girls.
Daniel Alfred Sanborn, a civil engineer and surveyor, began working on fire insurance maps in the 1860s and his company soon became one of the largest and most successful American map companies. Sanborn's first work mapping cities for insurance purposes began in Tennessee when Aetna Insurance hired him to survey a few towns across the state, however none of these earliest examples are known to exist today (Ristow, Walter W. "United States Fire Insurance and Underwriters Maps· 1852—1968." The Quarterly Journal of the Library of Congress 25, no. 3 (1968): 194-218." Sanborn maps were originally created to estimate fire insurance risks. Insurance companies would decide how much insurance, if any, was to be offered to a customer solely through the use of a Sanborn map. Today, the maps are frequently used for historical research and for preservation and restoration purposes.
- Sanborn Map Company
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Tennessee State Library & Archives
- Fire insurance maps
Sanborn Map Company
Fire risk assessment--Tennessee--Maps
Immaculate Mother Academy (Nashville, Tenn.) Florence Crittenden Mission Home (Nashville, Tenn.) Real property--Tennessee--Nashville--Maps
- Standardized Rights Statement
- The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Sanborn Map Company. Sanborn Fire Insurance Map of Nashville, Tenn. (1897, rev. 1911). 1911. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://teva.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/9376. (Accessed February 17, 2020.)
- APA citation style
- Sanborn Map Company, (1911) Sanborn Fire Insurance Map of Nashville, Tenn. (1897, rev. 1911). Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://teva.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/9376
- MLA citation style
- Sanborn Map Company. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://teva.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/9376>.