Furman Hall - Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tenn., circa 1930
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A postcard of Furman Hall on the campus of Vanderbilt University. When Furman Hall opened in 1907, it was called the most modern chemistry/pharmacy building in the United States. Its name honors Francis Furman, a Nashville merchant, whose widow provided the building funds. Furman's grey stone composition creates a sharp contrast to the surrounding brick buildings. Originally the home of the science and engineering departments, Furman was remodeled to house the humanities in 1967. Today, Furman Hall houses foreign languages, classical studies, philosophy, and the Women's Studies Program. Forms part of the Nashville Room Postcard Collection. 1 postcard : col. ; 3.5 x 5.5 in.
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Nashville Public Library
- E.C. Kropp Co. (Publisher)
- Vanderbilt University
Colleges and Universities
Universities and colleges
West End Avenue (Nashville, Tenn.)
Nashville (Tenn.)--Buildings, structures, etc
Nashville (Tenn.)--Intellectual life
- Still imagePostcards
- U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital content, which is provided for educational purposes only and may not be downloaded, reproduced, or distributed for any other purpose without written permission. Please contact the Special Collections Division of the Nashville Public Library, 615 Church Street, Nashville, Tennessee, 37219. Telephone (615) 862-5782.
- Chicago citation style
- Furman Hall - Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tenn., circa 1930. 1930~. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/851. (Accessed December 11, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- (1930~) Furman Hall - Vanderbilt University, Nashville, Tenn., circa 1930. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/851
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/851>.