New map of Knoxville, Tenn., and suburbs
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Highly detailed map of Knoxville printed just prior to the turn of the 20th century. Roads, lot numbers, railroads, streetcar lines, churches, schools, post offices, factories, cemeteries, and wards are all shown. Period businesses include the New Knoxville Brewery, Knoxville Furniture Company, the Imperial Hotel, slaughterhouses, livery stables, saw mills, an opera house, Knoxville Tannery Company, various quarries, the Deaf and Dumb Asylum, the Colored Deaf and Dumb Asylum, Dr. Bayless Sanitarium, and lumber mills. Knoxville College, Tennessee Medical College, and the University of Tennessee are all denoted.
J. Simpson Africa, a Pennsylvania politician and banker, served as trustee and investor of the Knoxville Street Railway Company. This case was the result of a dispute over rights to lay and operate street railway lines in Knoxville. From Citizens Railway Company v. J. Simpson Africa, Trustee, et al.
- Pill, John R
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Tennessee State Library & Archives
- Knoxville (Tenn.)--Maps
Tennessee. Supreme Court
Universities & colleges
- Standardized Rights Statement
- The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Pill, John R. New map of Knoxville, Tenn., and suburbs. 1895. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/9801. (Accessed October 22, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- Pill, John R, (1895) New map of Knoxville, Tenn., and suburbs. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/9801
- MLA citation style
- Pill, John R. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/9801>.