Revolutionary war-era map of the southern colonies
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This hand-drawn map depicts the Old Southwest frontier, possibly around 1778, according to a pencilled inscription. The boundary between Virginia and North Carolina is drawn, as is the trans-Mississippi River "Bounds of Virginia & New England" and a northern boundary of the Georgia colony. The map details many French and English forts as well as the location of Native American tribes and settlements across the region. Numerous Cherokee towns are depicted with particular care, and the Tennessee River is named the "Hogohege [or] Cherokees R." It appears that the first Anglo-American settlement in the Tennessee country--Watauga or "Vatoga"--is also depicted.
Though the provenance of this map is unclear, it does belong to some of the earliest papers collected by the Tennessee Historical Society or its predecessor, the Tennessee Antiquarian Society. It may have been drawn by one of the surviving Cumberland settlers, since it uses very dated mid-18th century place-names and French colonial spellings for a number of sites.
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Tennessee State Library & Archives
- Southern States
- Standardized Rights Statement
- The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Revolutionary war-era map of the southern colonies. 1778. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/381. (Accessed October 18, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- (1778) Revolutionary war-era map of the southern colonies. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/381
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/381>.