Map showing the mineral resources of Chattanooga and vicinity
- View Full Item
- Created Date
Map detailing the mineral deposits around Chattanooga from Montgomery, Alabama to Knoxville. Each type of mineral is hand-colored showing their approximate location. Coal mines, state boundaries, and railroads, both proposed and finished are indicated by the legend. Cities, towns, and rivers are all denoted.
This map is an artifact of Tennessee's effort to promote the rich mineral resources available for potential manufacturers after the Civil War. At the time, northern investors were purchasing huge acreages in mineral rich areas of Appalachia. Tennessee was an early leader in iron and--to a lesser extent--steel production as well as coal mining. However, by the beginning of the 20th century, the focus of steel-making shifted southward to Birmingham, Alabama.
- Lowe, S. B
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Tennessee State Library & Archives
- Mines and mineral resources--Tennessee--Maps
Cities & towns
- Standardized Rights Statement
- The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Lowe, S. B. Map showing the mineral resources of Chattanooga and vicinity. 1873. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/9668. (Accessed October 16, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- Lowe, S. B, (1873) Map showing the mineral resources of Chattanooga and vicinity. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/9668
- MLA citation style
- Lowe, S. B. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/9668>.