Map of Overhill Cherokee sites, 18th century
- View Full Item
- Created Date
This is a photograph of a map of the Overhill Cherokee sites that were occupied during the 18th century. The map is based on Henry Timberlake's 1762 map of the area as well as archaeological investigations made in 1967 through 1982, by The University of Tennessee as part of the Tellico Archaeological Project in anticipation of the flooding of the Lower Little Tennessee River by the Tellico Dam Reservoir. The excavations were conducted under contract with the National Park Service and the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA). These well- known Overhill settlements of Mialoquo, Tuskeegee, Toqua, Chota, Citico, Tallassee, and Chilhowee are now all under water. The Cherokees who were located in north Georgia, northwest South Carolina, and Western North Carolina had to travel over the mountains from South Carolina to reach their brethren who lived in the lower Tennessee and Hiawasee River Valleys and thus they were referred to as the Overhill Cherokees.
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Frank H. McClung Museum (Knoxville, Tenn.)
- Standardized Rights Statement
- This Rights Statement should be used for Items for which the copyright status is unknown and for which the organization that has made the Item available has undertaken an effort to determine the copyright status of the Work. Typically, this Rights Statement is used when the organization is missing key facts essential to making an accurate copyright status determination.
- Chicago citation style
- Map of Overhill Cherokee sites, 18th century. 1982. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, https://digital.lib.utk.edu/collections/islandora/object/volvoices%3A4057. (Accessed November 13, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- (1982) Map of Overhill Cherokee sites, 18th century. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, https://digital.lib.utk.edu/collections/islandora/object/volvoices%3A4057
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <https://digital.lib.utk.edu/collections/islandora/object/volvoices%3A4057>.