- View Full Item
- Created Date
A color map depicting Tennessee around 1826, soon after the cession by treaty of Chickasaw lands between the Tennessee and Mississippi Rivers and Cherokee lands in East Tennessee. Counties are outlined, including the newly formed West Tennessee counties, and county seats are shown along with topographical features. Recently formed (by the New Madrid earthquakes of 1812-13) Reelfoot Lake appears as an elongated "Wood Lake" and "Swamp" that stretches all the way from the Kentucky line to the Forked Deer River in Tipton County. Muscle Shoals in Alabama can also be seen, in addition to some Cherokee lands in southeast Tennessee. Compare to Map 670. Roads are depicted and named.
Since Lucas's 1822 map, newly created counties include Fayette, Tipton, Weakley, Obion, McNairy, Haywood, Hardeman, Gibson, Fentress, and Dyer.
- Lucas, Fielding, Jr., 1781-1854
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Tennessee State Library & Archives
Reelfoot Lake (Tenn.) Muscle Shoals (Ala." Mississippi River
Cities & towns
- Standardized Rights Statement
- The organization that has made the Item available believes that the Item is in the Public Domain under the laws of the United States, but a determination was not made as to its copyright status under the copyright laws of other countries. The Item may not be in the Public Domain under the laws of other countries. Please refer to the organization that has made the Item available for more information.
- Chicago citation style
- Lucas, Fielding, Jr., 1781-1854. Tennessee (1826). 1826. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/9268. (Accessed November 14, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- Lucas, Fielding, Jr., 1781-1854, (1826) Tennessee (1826). Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/9268
- MLA citation style
- Lucas, Fielding, Jr., 1781-1854. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://cdm15138.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p15138coll23/id/9268>.