Tennessee State Capitol Building, 1961 September 08
- View Full Item
- Created Date
A view of the Tennessee State Capitol, September 8th, 1961, in downtown Nashville. The State Capitol was constructed between 1845 and 1859. It was designed in Greek Revival style by architect William Strickland (1788-1854). Strickland died before construction was completed and was interred in the walls of the north portico. His son, Francis W. Strickland, oversaw the completion of the project. The cupola was reputedly modeled on a Greek monument to Lysicrates and designed to be illuminated at night like a lantern. The building was constructed of Tennessee Limestone and underwent major restoration from 1956-1960. During the restoration, much of the limestone, including most in the cupola and the Ionic columns and capitals, was replaced with Indiana limestone. The grounds contain monuments to famous people and events in Tennessee history. The Capitol was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1970. Forms part of Record Group 3, Metro Davidson County Photographer. 1 photograph negative : b & w ; 4 x 5 in.
- Digital Library of Tennessee
- Contributing Institution
- Nashville Public Library
- Tennessee State Capitol (Nashville, Tenn.)
Nashville (Tenn.)--Buildings, structures, etc
Nashville and Davidson County (Tenn.)--History--Sources
Tennessee--Capital and capitol
- Still imageNegatives
- U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital content, which is provided for educational purposes only and may not be downloaded, reproduced, or distributed for any other purpose without written permission. Please contact the Metro Archives, Nashville Public Library, 615 Church Street, Nashville, Tennessee, 37219. Telephone (615) 862-5880.
- Chicago citation style
- Tennessee State Capitol Building, 1961 September 08. 1961-09-08. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/5828. (Accessed December 13, 2019.)
- APA citation style
- (1961-09-08) Tennessee State Capitol Building, 1961 September 08. Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America, http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/5828
- MLA citation style
- Retrieved from the Digital Public Library of America <http://nashville.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/nr/id/5828>.